AM Technical Profile: WHMA
view] In Saks. Between US-431 and Old Gadsden Highway on
Post Oak Road.
- Power (ERP):
- Day: 5 kW
- Night: 1 kW
- Day: 1 tower
- Night: 3 towers
Groundwave Service Contour
from the FCC's Public Files
Owned by Williams Broadcasting
- This station
began, possibly in 1949, as WSPC (World's Soil Pipe Center) as an
Mutual affiliate. WSPC disappeared in the late 50's in an Annison
radio dial switcharoo and WHMA (Harry M. Ayers, owner) took over
here. In 1957 the business address was known to be the
Jefferson Davis Hotel.
WHMA stopped at 1390 in Anniston, it was one of the first stations
on the air in the state, coming on in 1929 as WFDW in Talladega. It
started on 1420 kHz. Around 1931 the frequency and calls were moved
to Anniston. In 1934 the calls changed to WAMC. The station shifted
frequencies again around 1941 to 1450 and became WHMA-AM. Eventually
(around the 60's) the WHMA calls found their way to 1390 kHz.
- In more
recent time has simulcast WHMA-FM's country format, done its own
classic country format, experimented with talk radio with gospel
music and in the latter half of the 20th Century, tried sports talk
with "The Score" moniker. That gave way (probably in February
2016) to gospel as "The Mighty Power 1390".