FM Technical Profile: WVRK
[ Home |
| FM |
| Translators |
| LPTV |
[ Metros: Birmingham |
| Huntsville |
GA | Dothan |
| The Shoals ]
- Station Name:
- Rock 103
view] About a half mile north of the Lafayette Road (Walls
Street) intersection with US-280, east of Fort Benning. One
tower west of the old location.
- Power (ERP):
- 86 kW
- Beam Tilt ERP:
- Antenna HAAT:
- 1581 feet
- 60 dBu protected
map, from the FCC.
- :PS-ROCK 103 | PURE ROCK |
WWW. ROCK103 | ONLINE | .COM Time-unknown
Text-Rock 103 song / artist PTY-Rock
- AUX: 6 kW @ 73
feet. 60 dBu protected
map, from the FCC.
Image showing the Radio Text and PI (call sign) RDS fields decoded
on an Insignia HD radio in Baldwin County, Alabama.
Street View imagery of the iHeartMedia studios in Columbus.
- This station
was first officially licensed to broadcast in 1953 as WRBL-FM, but
it actually began broadcasting all the way back in 1946, making it
Georgia's first commercial FM station to go on the air. J. W.
Woodruff, Sr., operator of WRBL AM 1420 (and WRBL-TV channel 4)
received authorization to temporarily began offering FM service to
the Columbus area on 96.7 MHz. His company put on a GE BT-1A
transmitter with 250 watts into a 2-bay GE antenna mounted on the
WRBL AM tower near the intersection of 15th Avenue and 30th Street
in Columbus. When the WRBL AM tower site moved to Phenix City
in 1947, the FM followed, with service originating from a "coaxial
vertical" on a 30 foot wooden pole, with 250 watts still.
Through continuous rolling authorizations filed regularly, the
station continued to broadcast on FM while not yet being officially
licensed; they raised the antenna height to 60 feet and power to 3
kW with a GT BT-3A transmitter. In 1947 the frequency was
changed to 93.3 MHz. Eventually they were permitted to
experiment with powers as high as 10 kW from the 60 foot pole at the
WRBL AM site.
The string of temporary authorizations continued into the early 50s,
with a 150 foot tower at 1350 13th Avenue (today this is the WRBL-TV
studios) in Columbus being utilized at this point. The actual
licensed facility finally signed on from that location in 1952, with
46 kW. In 1955 the station was licensed to transmit with 25 kW
from a site west of Phenix City, Alabama, where WCGQ is located
In 1960, the station was granted a permit to move to 102.9 MHz, with
21.2 kW from a RCA-BTF-3B transmitter and an antenna 921 feet above
terrain off Lafayette Road north of Cussetta. The station
began operating a Subsidiary Communications Authority (SCA) in
1962. The station debuted a 100,000 watt signal in 1965, using
a Gates FM-20B transmitter. At this point, the station was
known to play Easy Listening/Middle-of-the-Road music to the few
people with FM receivers at the time.
When J. W. Woodruff Jr. passed away in 1976, the stations he
inherited from his father were broken up and sold off. When
this station was sold to Voice of Columbus in 1978, the call sign
was changed to WVOC. They flipped the format to Modern Country
Towards the end of 1984 the station was acquired by Aylett B.
Coleman. At the start of 1985, he flipped the station to
Contemporary Hit Radio (CHR) as "Kiss FM" with the new WNKS
calls. Later that year the station was purchased by JRM
Broadcasting for $300,000. They flipped it to J. T. Milligan
and J. R. Martin (as M&M Partnership) in 1986 for $3.25 million.
In August of 1989, the station changed to WVRK and took up their
present Rock format.
Cumulus acquired the station (as well as a ton of other Columbus
signals) in 1997.
Clear Channel (now iHeart Radio) purchased the station and its
Cumulus stablemates in 2002.
- In late June
2011 the station received a construction permit for some minor
modifications that would increase the antenna height slightly and
change the power output from vertically polarized only to vertical
and horizontal polarity with beam tilt. That license to cover
came through one month later.