FM Technical Profile: WVFG

[ Home | Statewide: AM | FM | LPFM | Translators | TV | LPTV | LDTV ]
[ Metros: Birmingham | Mobile | Montgomery | Huntsville | Columbus, GA | Dothan | Tuscaloosa | The Shoals ]

Station Name:
V 107.5
Hip-Hop, Gospel
Transmitter Location:
[map] [street view] South of Uniontown about 4 miles on CR-53, on the east side of the highway.
Power (ERP):
6 kW
Antenna HAAT:
328 feet
Other Information:
60 dBu protected contour map, from the FCC.
More Information:
[Alternate Website]
[Article] Story from the Selma Times-Journal on the fire that destroyed the station in June of 2004.
[Article] Story from the Demopolis Times about the return of the station to the air in June of 2004.
[Street View] Image of the shared WVFG/WBFZ studios.
License deleted 04-06-2012, re-instated 04-22-2016
Charles E. Jones, Jr.
This station has had a troubled history.  It dates back to an original construction permit granted in 1991 to Union Broadcasting Associates, on 107.5 MHz, as a Class A with 1.45 kW.   Before going on the air, the permit was transferred to James Wilson III, in 1992, for $5,000.  It appears the station didn't get on the air until the Spring of 1995, but when it did sign on, it was a full 6 kW signal.  The format isn't known, as it was listed as "not on the air" in the Broadcasting Yearbook editions from that decade.  Charles E. Jones, Jr. acquired the station for $70,000 in May 1997.  It's likely it's always had a mix of Gospel and Hip Hop music.

In the summer of 2004, a fire that was suspected as arson destroyed both the office and transmitter for the station.  The station's owner was able to get back on the air via a low powered donated transmitted.  The ownership never filed anything with the FCC about this, however.  The license was cancelled in June 2005 when the station failed to file a renewal on time, resulting in a fine. 

In April 2012, the FCC again cancelled the license for the station for failing to renew on time.  This also resulted in a fine.  When the FCC re-instated the license in April 2016, the station was reported on-air but with a weaker than normal signal.  That lasted until August 2016, when a normal signal was reported.

In February 2021, the FCC once again fined the station ($3,000) for failing to renew its license on time.  In this instance, the station was only partly tardy so the license wasn't actually cancelled.