AM Technical Profile: WTAZ
[ Home |
| FM | LPFM
| Translators |
| LPTV |
[ Metros: Birmingham |
| Huntsville |
GA | Dothan |
| The Shoals ]
- Sports Talk
- Day: [map]
eye]Just off Cheaha Drive in Oxford, at the western terminus
of Edgewood Drive, between Friendship Road and AL-21.
- Night: [map]
view] Just east of Talladega on AL-21, next to Pine Hill
Memorial Park cemetery.
- Power (ERP):
- Day: 2.5 kW
- Night: 22 watts
- Day and night: 1
Contour from the
FCC's Public Files
Owned by Woodard Broadcasting
- The Confederate
Broadcasting Company (W. K. Johnston, James Hemphill, Ned Butler)
were awarded a construction permit for a new station in September
1955 in Talladega. When it signed on in 1956, the station
launched as a 1 kW daytimer on 1580 kHz, as WJHB. The
station's studios were on the south side of the square in downtown
Talladega at 104 South Court Square, while the transmitter was
nearly two miles north of downtown on Alabama Highway 102. The
transmitter was a Collins 20V.
The license was transferred to the Tallabama Broadcasting Company in
1962. They changed the calls to WEYY, and in 1964 moved the
studios to 146 North Court Street.
Through the 70's, the station had a Country music format with ABC
network affiliation. The station moved transmitter site to a
location in the 1020 Anniston Road, just east of town (the
currently-licensed night site). When that facility signed on
in 1971, it was with a Collins 820D-1 transmitter. The station
spawned an FM companion, WHTB on 92.7 MHz, in 1972. In 1975,
the station got a bump in power to 2.5 kW, but still as a daytime
only operation, with a CCA AM-2500-3000D transmitter. After
ownership of the company moved from Albert Rains to Jimmy E.
Woodard, the company name changed from Tallabama to Woodard
Broadcasting Company. The studios moved to the transmitter
site in 1977.
The station was granted a major modification in 1985 to relocate to
the nearby community of Oxford. That site, with transmitter
off Choccolocco Creek south of town, signed on in 1987. One
year prior to sign-on, the call sign changed to WOXR, but the
station's Country music format remained. The studios were at
1606 South Hale Street in Oxford.
In the early 90's, the station dropped Country for Easy
Listening. In the mid-90's, the studio location was at 90
Friendship Road. The station appears to have gone back to Country
music towards the end of the decade, but it was not to lastů
The station's format flipped to Urban Contemporary in August
2000. The call sign changed to WARB at this time.
In September 2002 the station took the famous (in Birmingham,
anyway) calls of WVOK, to go with their Oxford-area FM sister
station. Around that time the format changed to Oldies.
Later, they picked up Scott Shannon's True
The True Oldies Channel
format was killed off at the end of June 2014; the station has most
likely picked up the "Good Time Oldies" format from Westwood One.
station's licensed night facility, shown above, is not actually
used; both day and night service are from the day coordinates.
In March 2023 the station was granted a call sign change to WTAZ,
set to take effect on 17 April 2023. It appears that some time
after the call sign change, the station flipped to Fox Sports
network programming as "1580 The Stadium".