AM Technical Profile: WQFX
Near the northeast edge of the Gulfport Naval C.B. Center, between
39th and 34th Avenues.
- Power (ERP):
- Day: 1 kW
- Day: 1 tower
- 0.5 mV/m Daytime
Groundwave Service Contour from
the FCC's Public Files
// W254DJ Gulfport, MS
Owned by Walking By Faith Ministries, Inc.
- An original
construction permit for this station was first issued in May of 1974
to Robert Barber, George Sliman and F. M. Smith, under the name of
Gulf Broadcasting Company. The station debuted with country
music in June of '76 as WGUF (GUlFport), with 500 watts
as a daytimer. The studios were originally at 1505 24th Avenue
in Gulfport while the transmitter was at 2200 15th Street. The
transmitter was a Gates BC-1F.
In 1977, the station spawned an FM companion, WGUF-FM on 96.7 MHz.
In 1981 the transmitter site was permitted to move to 39th Avenue
and 34th Street in Gulfport. The station was acquired by
Caravelle Broadcasting Group of Mississippi in November 1984.
On 1 January 1985 the station flipped to an all-news format and
changed called to WAIZ. The format only lasted a short time,
and on 1 January 1986 the station changed calls to WQFX and went
back to country music after being bought by Steere
The station was bought by Bleu Bayou Broadcasting for $47,500 in
1991; by this time the station was simulcasting its sister station's
urban contemporary format. The station was sold again in 1994
to Walking By Faith Ministries, who flipped the format to the
current "Power Gospel" format.
The station upgraded to 1 kW, still as a daytimer, in 2001.
They acquired an FM translator and put it on the air in May 2018.