AM Technical Profile: WPID
view] Located on the 400 block of Cedartown Highway, east of
- Power (ERP):
- Day: 1 kW
- Night: 84 watts
- 1 tower
0.5 mV/m Daytime
Groundwave Service Contour from the
FCC's Public Files
Owned by Piedmont Radio, Inc.
a view of the studio and tower
- This station
was put on the air in May of 1953 by Ruby J. Clotfelder, Cary L.
Graham and Mac M. Thomas (as Piedmont Radio Station), as a 1 kW
daytimer on 1280 kHz. The studios and transmitter have always
been located together, on the 400 block of Cedartown Highway east of
Piedmont. The license was transferred to Terrence J. Gladden
(as WPID Radio Station, later Piedmont Broadcasting Company, Inc.)
Although it's unknown what the format was in the earliest days of
the station's operation, it appears it was Contemporary Country
through the mid-70's. The station license was transferred to Alex Allen
Carwile (as Radio Station WPID) in 1977.
By the early to mid 80's, the station had moved from Country to
Adult Contemporary. The station was acquired by Piedmont Radio
for $125,000 in May 1984. In the 90's, the station started
adding some oldies to the AC mix.
The station's license expired in 2004 after they failed to renew it
with the FCC. The station wasn't notified of the error until
late 2005, when it took action to correct the problem.
Although the FCC did re-instate the station's license shortly
thereafter, they also fined them $7,000 for noncompliance.