AM Technical Profile: WHIY
[ Home |
| FM |
| Translators |
| LPTV |
[ Metros: Birmingham |
| Huntsville |
GA | Dothan |
| The Shoals ]
- Urban Oldies
view] Northeast of Oakwood University on Jordan Lane NW
(Ardmore Highway), just north of the intersection with Oakwood Road
& Sparkman Drive NW. Co-located with WEUP.
- Power (ERP):
- Day: 5 kW
- Night: 500
- Day: 1 tower,
- Night: 6 towers
the FCC's Public
WEUP promotional brochure scan from the American Radio History
Google Photos images of the station's studio and signage.
Street View imagery of the station's studios on Highway 53 in
by Broadcast One, Inc.
- Leroy “Blue Goose”
Garrett was granted a new construction permit for a station on 1600
kHz, operating with 1 kW days only, in February 1957. The
studios and transmitter site were originally at the corner of Oakwood
Avenue and Grace Street, at Syler Tabernacle Church (now home of the
Huntsville Bible College). The station signed on in 1958 as the first
black-oriented and black-owned station in Huntsville. The
station quickly received a permit to boost power to 5 kW, still
days-only, and signed that higher power facility on the air in
The station moved both the studio and transmitter site to its current
location at 2609 Jordan Lane in November 1961.
The station applied for nighttime power for the first time in the
summer of 1968, but was denied. The station filed multiple
appeals all the way up through a district court, and eventually Leroy
and his wife Viola testified before Congress, leading to the FCC to
finally approve a night power addition in 1973 and alter their rules
governing nighttime operation on the AM band. Once it signed on,
it was running 500 watts nights via a Gates BC-500G transmitter.
After Garrett's death in 1980, his wife took over operations of the
station and continued to run it until 1987, when she sold it to
Hundley Batts and Virginia Caples. In the late 80's or early
90's the station began broadcasting in C-QUAM AM stereo.
Batts and Caples purchased an FM signal in Moulton in 1999 and moved
the Urban Contemporary WEUP programming and call sign there, mellowing
the sound of this heritage station in the process.
When the FCC expanded the AM band in the late 90's, the station was
granted a permit to move to 1700 kHz, and that facility signed on in
2001 and WEUV. At first, the two signals simulcast, and around
this time the station was listed as having a Gospel music
format. The original plan was to require all station with
expanded band allocations to turn in their original licenses to help
de-clutter the crowded AM band, but that never happened. As with
many other stations, both WEUP and WEUV would remain on the air
together for quite some time.
The Batts & Caples stations had grown to several properties, and
in 2006 they shuffled the call signs around. For one month, this
station became WEUV while AM 1700 became WEUP. In February, this
station became WHIY, swapping calls with a station in Moulton.
Not long after this, the station was reportedly silent, and remained
silent until the spring of 2008. When it returned to the air, it
was noted to have a "Jammin' Oldies and Party Blues" Classic Rhythm
and Blues format.
- Long owned by
Huntsville insurance team Hundley Batts, Sr. and Virginia Caples,
ownership was transferred to their company Broadcast One, Inc. in
March 2019 after the death of Caples.