AM Technical Profile: WGOL
- Classic Country
view] On Underwood Road, north of where Russell Valley Road
- Power (ERP):
- Day: 1 kW
- Night: 40 watts
- 1 tower
Groundwave Service Contour from the FCC's Public Files
Street View imagery of the station's studio on Washington Avenue in
Russellville. Co-located with WKAX.
Owned by Pilati Investments Inc.
// W299CV Russellville, AL
- This station
came on the air in 1949 as WWWR, put on by W. W. Bankhead (Bankhead
Broadcasting) from the same site the station uses today.
Lester H. Carr was the engineer. Originally it ran 1,000
watts, daytime only via a Western Electric 443-A1 transmitter.
They upgraded to a Collins 20V just a few years later.
The station was acquired by Franklin Broadcasting Incorporated in
1965. By the early 70's, the station had a country music
format, which it would wind up keeping until well into the
2000's. In 1976 the station was known to be running a Gates
Franklin Broadcasting sold the station to SIS Sound of Russellville,
Inc., in 1986, for $125,000. The station's call sign changed
to WJRD (which had previously been on AM 1150 in Tuscaloosa) in
March of 1987. The format remained country. At some
point, most likely in the mid-80's, the station began broadcasting
in C-QUAM AM stereo, and it appears the station still uses it to
The station's call sign changed to WGOL in August 1998, and it's
likely that it was around this time the format flipped to
oldies. It was also at this time that the station had been
acquired by McCurry Broadcasting, who paid $75,000 for it.
In 2005, the station was sold to Pilati Investments for
$171,500. It's around this time that the format went from
oldies to the current classic country format.
The station was granted a construction permit for a new FM
translator for 107.7 MHz in April 2018. Although licensed to
Russellville, it will be physically located in Florence.