AM Technical Profile: WGCM
[ Home |
| FM |
| Translators |
| LPTV |
[ Metros: Birmingham |
| Huntsville |
GA | Dothan |
| The Shoals ]
eye] Between Turkey and Biloxi creeks near Big Lake.
- Power (ERP):
- Day and night:
Day and night: 940 watts (CP)
- 1 tower
- 0.5 mV/m Daytime
Groundwave Service Contour from
the FCC's Public Files
// W265DH Gulfport, MS
Owned by JMD, Inc.
- This station
has a surprisingly long history, dating all the way back to 1928,
when it first licensed as WGCM by the Gulf Coast Music
Company. They put the station on air at 1350 kHz with 15 watts
on a time-shared basis, operating from 9 am to 9 pm every day except
Sunday. A year later, the station had moved to 1210 kHz, and
bumped power up to 100 watts, unlimited hours. The original
transmitter location was atop the building at 1319 26th Avenue in
The Great Southern Land Company acquired the station in 1929.
At times, they operated the station on an experimental basis with
increased power at night during certain time periods. They
moved the transmitter site to their Great Southern Hotel on the
Mississippi Sound, then later to a site in Mississippi City, east of
downtown Gulfport, on East Beach Boulevard. The area around
the transmitter was eventually turned into the Great Southern Golf
Course, which still stands today.
Great Southern Land Company's ownership of the station continued
through the 40's, albeit through a company called WGCM Broadcasting
Company, with Grace Jones Stewart listed as primary ownership.
Later that passed to Hugh O. Jones and William E. Jones.
Starting in 1940, the transmitter site and studio were relocated to
1500 22nd Street in Gulfport, in a residential area. At this
time, the NARBA reallocation process was going on, moving almost all
AM stations from one dial position to another. WGCM moved to
1240 kHz, and at this time took the opportunity to boost power to
250 watts full time. In 1949 they attempted to spawn an FM
station on 101.5 kHz, operating with 3 kW power from the AM tower,
but it never got off the ground.
E. O. Roden and Associates acquired the license in March of
1958. Through their ownership, the station was a "good music"
kind of station until FM took over that turf. The station got
its first boost in power in 20 years, when they received permission
to increase daytime power to 1,000 watts, in 1960. With that
came a new Gates BC-1T transmitter, installed by Biloxi engineer
Odes E. Robinson. The old RCA BTA 250L got put in as a backup
The station spawned today's WGCM-FM in 1968, when it went on the air
to cater to the area's black population, which had no local service
of their own at the time. The AM station re-located to the new
facility for the FM, which was just up the street on 5th Avenue in
By the early 70's, this station was playing Adult Contemporary
music. In the 80's, the station had a stint playing Country
music. The station and its FM companion were sold to Holt
Broadcasting in 1987. At that time they dropped the black
programming from the FM and began simulcasting this AM's Country
format. Around 1990 or 1991 the station dropped Country for
Big Band and Nostalgia/Standards music.
JMD, Inc. (party of the Dowdy family of stations) bought the AM and
FM combo for $950,000. They flipped the AM to Classic Country
around this time. The WGCM call letters were re-purposed to
mean "Great Country Music".
(They also could have referred to "Gulf
In March 2016 the ownership purchased an FM translator located in
Macon, Mississippi and moved it to Gulfport as part of the FCC's AM
Revitalization plan. It was confirmed on the air in April 2016
and the station's format was noted to have changed from Classic
Country to a mix of Oldies and Standards as "Cruisin' 100.9",
reflecting the FM's dial position. In August 2020, the station
received a permit to lower power slightly, from 1,000 watts full
time to 940 watts.