AM Technical Profile: WFPA
[ Home |
| FM | LPFM
| Translators |
| LPTV |
[ Metros: Birmingham |
| Huntsville |
GA | Dothan |
| The Shoals ]
- Talk, News
view] At the end of Castle Rock Drive, off CR-89 (Scenic View
- Power (ERP):
- Day: 1 kW
- Night: 1 kW
- 1 tower
0.5 mV/m Daytime
Groundwave Service Contour
from the FCC's Public Files
- Main Page
Alternate news/talk page
Story from WHNT in Huntsville regarding the station's eviction and
Story on the acquisition of the station by Southern Torch
Owned by Southern Torch
// W230CX Fort Payne, AL (CP)
- James Lewis
Killian was awarded a construction permit for a station on 1260 kHz
with 250 watts, but it was amended when the application was
approved, to 1290 kHz with 500 watts in July 1949. The station
signed on January 8th, 1950 using a Collins 20T, transmitting from
the same site the station uses today, atop Lookout Mountain.
The original studio location was at 102 Gault Avenue South in Fort
Payne. The station moved to 1400 kHz with a decrease in power
to 250 watts, in the summer of 1950. At this point they
switched to a Collins 300-G.
Just a year after putting the station on, Killian became an early
pioneer into cable television, with a system he started in Fort
Payne. He sold the station to George A. Gothberg, Jr. in the
fall of 1952.
Robert H. Johnson acquired the station in 1962. The station
boosted power to 1 kW full time, using a Gates BC-1G, in 1964.
Under Johnson's ownership, the station appears to have had a hybrid
format with both Top 40 and County music.
Johnson, along with Beatrice Johnson and Martha J. Wolfe formed
WFPA, Inc. and assigned the license to that company in 1971.
In the middle part of the 70's, the station moved to a Contemporary
Rock format. Ownership of the company was assigned to James A.
and C. Alfred Dick in 1979. Around this time, the station
dropped the Rock for a Country music format.
Fort Payne Broadcasting acquired the license in 1985, and around
that time the station flipped to an Adult Contemporary music
format. It morphed into a mix of Oldies and Contemporary
Country through the late 80's and into the early 90's.
Scottsboro-based KEA, Inc. acquired the station for $34,650 in 1994;
at that time the format appears to have been even more diverse, with
Classic Rock, Oldies and Modern Country through various parts of the
day, although again it moved towards a regular Adult Contemporary
format in the late 90's, being one of the few holdouts with music on
AM at the time. In May 1997, the calls changed to WMXN to
reflect the music mix. KEA sold the station to Delgiorno
Broadcasting Corporation in 1999; they changed the calls to WDLL
after the sale closed and they flipped the format to News/Talk.
The station was sold to DeKalb County Community Radio in 2001 for
$120,000. They flipped the format back to Oldies. J.A.R.
Inc. purchased the station in 2006 for $95,000 and returned the
format to Adult Contemporary again, with Delilah and some talk mixed
in. The station fell silent in 2008 and off the air until at
least the Spring of 2010, when it was purchased by J. Michael
Wallace (as Wallace Broadcasting). He put the station back in
the air with News/Talk programming.
The station acquired a translator permit in January 2018, for a
signal on 93.9 MHz from the AM's tower atop Lookout Mountain.
As of January 2019, the translator appears to be unbuilt.
The station was taken off the air abruptly on 18 October 2019, when
the local Sheriff showed up during the morning show with an eviction
notice. By that afternoon, the station's tower had also been
dismantled. According to local news reports, the station has
already lined up a new office space and has plans to rebuild the
tower, although nothing ever came of it.
In October 2020, the station filed an emergency STA to operate with
a longwire at 225 N Galt Avenue in Fort Payne in order to keep the
license from being deleted. Concurrently they filed a notice
to sell the station to Southern Torch, Inc. for $15,000 if the
station can be revived before the license expires. The
location of the longwire is a Methodist church's daycare, but is
listed as "owned by Southern Torch".
The purchase by Southern Torch was consummated in March 2021.
The Special Temporary Authority to operate from a longwire was
renewed in May 2021 while the new owners seek a permanent