AM Technical Profile: WELB
Country, Southern Gospel
view] Six tenths of a mile north of Elba on AL-87.
- Power (ERP):
- Day: 1 kW
- Night: 44 watts
- 1 tower
Groundwave Service Contour
from the FCC's Public Files
Owned by Elba Broadcasting Company
- Harold Parrish, Jr. signed this
station on in January, 1959. From the beginning, it's always
been run 1 kW (first days-only, later with added night service), and
always had the WELB calls, which represent Elba, the city of
license. The transmitter was a Gates BC 1J series. The
station's studio was originally at the transmitter site, six tenths of
a mile north of Elba on Highway 87. Less than a year after signing on,
the license was voluntarily transferred to James Dowdy and James
Wilson, as Elba Broadcasting Company. The station has remained
under the company's ownership ever since, albeit through many
different people heading the company.
In September 1965, the studios moved to the corner of Court and Davis
Streets in downtown Elba. At this time it was known to be
running Country & Western music full-time.
By the early 70's, ownership of Elba Broadcasting Company had been in
the hands of Jimmy Clark Fullis. He died in 1973, and ownership
passed (in '76) to William D. Holderfield.
The station made a change to its antenna system in the fall of 1980,
moving from a series-fed vertical steel tower to a shunt-fed folded
unipole. This station spawned an FM companion in 1987, when they
put on WZTZ on 101.1 MHz. It had the same Country format as the
AM for several years.
After several years of sharing or simulcasting a Country format with
their FM sister, the AM split off to do Oldies in 1991 or 1992.
By the year 2000, the station was doing Classic Country while the FM
took on Modern Country. William Holderfield died in 2017.