FM Technical Profile: WDRM
- Station Name:
West of Pulaski Pike NW, off the minor road Juniper Drive NW.
- Power (ERP):
- 100 kW
- Antenna HAAT:
- 981 feet
- 60 dBu protected
map, from the FCC.
- HD-2: Talk,
// WBHP Huntsville, WHOS Decatur
// W258AU Huntsville
- :PS-COUNTRY FAVORITES WDRM (plus
song title/artist info) Time-[unknown] Text-song
title/artist PTY-Country TMC-Metro
- AUX: 30 kW @
883 feet. 60 dBu protected
map, from the FCC.
[Facebook] For WDRM
WDRM's Listener Lounge
For the WAY FM network
Image showing the station's PAD data for the main HD channel.
Image showing the station's PAD data for the HD-2 subchannel when it
was New Country
Image showing the station's PAD data on an Insignia HD portable
after the switch the the news/talk simulcast.
Image showing the station's PAD data for the HD-3 subchannel.
Google Photos image of the iHeartMedia Huntsville studios.
Street View imagery of the iHeartMedia studios on Peoples Road in
- This station dates back to an original construction
in August 1951 for a new station on 92.5 MHz, licensed to North
Alabama Broadcasting Company (John H. Jones and Jeffie Jones), who
owned WHOS. It signed on as WHOS-FM in May 1952 with 3 kW,
operating from a transmitter site on 2nd Street west 14th Avenue
near Decatur and with studios at 212 Jackson Street in
Decatur. In the mid-50's, the station boosted power to 8.6 kW,
then switched to 102.1 MHz with just 2.35 kW in the early
60's. In 1962 the studios
moved to the Chenault Building on Grant Street in downtown
Decatur. In 1964 the station began
utilizing an SCA (Subsidiary Communications Authority) set of
broadcasts, on the standard 67 kHz and non-standard 41 kHz.
March 1966 saw the calls changed to WDRM (rather boringly, this
stands for Decatur
One month later, they were granted a permit to boost power to 21.5
kW, a facility than went on the air in November of that year with a
Gates FM 7.5B, feeding a four bay GE antenna. That same year
the studios moved out of the Chenault Building, and moved to the
second floor of the Masonic Building on Johnston Street.
In 1967 the station got another power boost, this time to the full
100 kW, with a Jampro 12 bay antenna and a CCM FM-10000DS
transmitter. The studio moved for a third this decade, to 406
Ownership of the station passed from the original owners to Dixie
Broadcasting, Inc. in April 1970. Through the 70's, the
station had a Top 40 format, and perhaps the call sign did double
duty standing for "Decatur's
too. Well, at least for a little while… by '78, the station
was doing Beautiful Music.
It went head-to-head with Decatur's other
100 kW station, WRSA, when it flipped to a Middle of the Road format
by 1980, with ABC news (to counter "Beautiful 97"'s NBC News.)
By the mid-80's, it was proving difficult to be the other
sleepy sounding station in the market, so the station went upbeat
and flipped to Country. Oh, and they also moved their antenna
to Monte Santo Mountain in Huntsville to become one of the bigger
signals in the market.
The station has cruised on with Modern Country music as the format
pretty much ever since; the station was acquired by Clear Channel in
WDRM installed HD digital radio technology during Clear Channel's
rollout of the tech to many of their mid-market stations in the
2000's. Until the fall of 2015, the HD2 had carried the
company's "New Country" online-only format, but that gave way to a
simulcast of sister News/Talk stations WBHP and WHOS. The HD3
debuted earlier that year in April, when it picked up the WAY-FM
Christian Religious format. The HD3 was being used to feed a
translator in Huntsville.