AM Technical Profile: WCOX
Located approximately 1.3 southeast of the Wilcox County Courthouse
on Alabama highway 265.
- Power (ERP):
- Day: 1 kW
- Night: 1 kW
- 1 tower
0.5 mV/m Daytime
Groundwave Service Contour
from the FCC's Public Files
- Black Belt
Broadcasting Company put this station on the air in the winter of
1969, filing a license to cover for a facility on 1540 kHz in
January. The station originally was a 1 kW daytime only
operation, using a Continental CCA-AM-1000D transmitter, from a site
southeast of Camden on what was then County Road 39. The call
sign has always been WCOX — for WilCOX county.
The Camden branch of the NAACP filed a petition to deny the
station's license renewal in 1972. Through most of the 70's,
the station had a Full Service type format, as many small town
stations had during those days.
In December 1979, the station moved to 1450 kHz and added 250 watts
of nighttime power for the first time, and around this time the
format flipped to Religious programming.
Ownership changed to Harry A. and Betty J. Taylor in the spring of
1981, as Taylor and Taylor. In 1986, the station was sold to
Wilcox Network, Inc., although Harry Taylor stayed on as program
The station launched an FM companion in 1990, after several years of
delays. In the early 90's the station boosted nighttime power
to 1 kW, running that power 24 hours a day. By 1992 the
station was running Rock and Blues music programming in addition to
the Religious format. That same year, Down Home Broadcasting
bought the stations for $30,000.
For a short time in the late 90's or early 2000's, the station had a
News/Talk format, but later went back to Gospel and other Religious
- WCOX's license
was deleted in June of 2005 because they failed to renew the license
by the required date and failed to pay the regulatory fees.
The station kept broadcasting despite losing its license, and was
fined $14,000. The FCC restored the license in May 2006 after
the station paid all necessary fees.
Sometime after returning to the air, the tower collapsed into the
nearby woods. As far as anyone knows, the station continued to
(try to) broadcast from the downed tower, ruining the
transmitter. The transmitter itself was reported to be in an
unprotected, open shack where the elements have basically rusted the
entire setup into nothingness. Later, it was noted that the
station moved the transmitter site across the street (without ever
notifying the FCC) and forgot to connect the transmitter to the
antenna, transmitting into a dummy load for a while until the
transmitter burned out.
The FCC canceled the license for WCOX in April 2012. The
station's license (along with sister WYVC) were deleted in 2005, as
well. In October of 2012 a petition for reconsidering for the
license was dismissed, and the call sign was officially deleted from
the FCC records. Another petition for reconsideration was
granted in May 2013 and the station's license (as well as that for
WYVC) were re-instated. WCOX is off air with a special
temporary authority to remain silent.