AM History Profile: WAAO
- Companion Broadcasting
Service put this station on the air in the spring of 1966.
Andalusia's second radio station, it was on 1530 kHz and ran 1 kW
days-only from a Collins 20V3 transmitter located just north of the
city limits, east of US-29 on what is today Industrial Park
Drive. The call sign stood for "Andalusia And Opp".
More than likely, this station started off with Country music, and it
retained that same format, calls and power for the entirety of its
existence. In 1987, the station spawned an FM companion
(WAAO-FM) which took up the country music mantle, making the AM
redundant. It went off the air and the license was deleted in