AM Technical Profile: KAGY
[ Home |
| FM |
| Translators |
| LPTV |
[ Metros: Birmingham |
| Huntsville |
GA | Dothan |
| The Shoals ]
view] Between Adema and Bernice Lanes in Port Sulphur, just
- Power (ERP):
- Day only: 1 kW
Days: 3800 watts (CP)
Critical Hours: 840 watts (CP)
- Day: 1 tower
- 0.5 mV/m Daytime
Groundwave Service Contour
from the FCC's Public Files
- An original
construction permit was issued to Plaquemines Broadcasting Company (W.
D. Womack, Jr., president) in 1966 for a daytime only operation on
1510 kHz, with 500 watts of power. When it signed on, the studio
and transmitter site were co-located approximately one mile northwest
of the center of Port Sulphur, between Adema and Bernice Lanes on
LA-23. The transmitted used was a Visual AM-1K-A model. The call
sign was WPBC, after the company's name.
The station boosted its power to 1 kW in 1969, despite an objection
from clear channel, co-channel "neighbor" WLAC in Nashville.
The station's license was transferred to River Bend Broadcasting
Company, Inc., in the summer of 1974. They changed calls to
KAGY. In 1979, the studios were relocated to the New Orleans
suburb of Terrytown, at 1502-C Belle Chasse Highway. Under River
Bend's ownership, the format was Country music.
Going into the 80's, the station began to tweak the format to a mix of
Country music and Middle-of-the-Road (MOR) pop music. The
station was acquired by KEYLO, Inc. in 1985. They attempted to pivot
to Religious programming, but that appears to be short-lived as they
were back to Country music by 1987.
The station was donated to Miracle Assembly of God., Inc in 1992; they
flipped the format to Gospel.
In 2002, the station was sold to Spotlight Broadcasting of New
Orleans, LLC for $250,000. They flipped the format to "Swamp
Pop", a wonderful regional flavor of zydeco and other
Sadly, the Swamp Pop disappeared around September 2015, replaced with
The station received a construction permit to boost power to 3.8 kW in
August 2020, still as a daytime only operator.