AM Technical Profile: WVOK
- Day: [map]
eye]Just off Cheaha Drive in Oxford, at the western terminus
of Edgewood Drive, between Friendship Road and AL-21.
- Night: [map]
view] Just east of Talladega on AL-21, next to Pine Hill
Memorial Park cemetery.
- Power (ERP):
- Day: 2.5 kW
- Night: 22 watts
- Day and night:
Contour from the
FCC's Public Files
- Started out in
Talladega as WJHB in 1956, with studios on the south side of the
square downtown. Owned by James Hemphill, it was originally a
daytimer with 1 kW. Later became WEYY. In the early 80's the
station moved from Talladega to Oxford, and in February 1986 the
calls changed to WOXR. The format at that time was easy
listening, with an eventual change to country. In August 2000
it changed to urban AC with the WARB calls. In September 2002
the station took the famous (in Birmingham, anyway) calls of WVOK,
to go with their FM sister station. Around that time the
format changed to oldies. Later picked up Scott
The True Oldies Channel
format was killed off at the end of June 2014; the station has most
likely picked up the "Good Time Oldies" format from Westwood One.
station's licensed night facility, shown above, is not actually
used; both day and night service are from the day coordinates.